The power supply could have short circuit protection of some type, or is just robust enough to survive a momentary short. I'm betting size restrictions of a PoE port in a switch will limit how much ruggedness they can build into it.

I also wondered about non-conductive dies, but never looked hard. I decided ceramic would be too brittle, polymers wouldn't be durable enough, and I couldn't imagine what else they would use.....then I decided I'd already spent too much time thinking about it and shouldn't bother.

------ Original Message ------
From: "Christopher Gray" <cg...@graytechsoftware.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 6/23/2017 1:07:53 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] Mistake: Crimping With PoE Connected?

So, I made a mistake and crimped a cable end while the PoE was still connected to the other end (Cambium ePMP gigabit PoE). I saw a small spark while the crimper hit the contacts.

I expected to have to re-do the end and possibly replace the PoE, but everything was fine.

Are some injectors just less sensitive than others? I hear a Netonix will lose a port if you do that. Are there any crimpers with non-conductive dies?

-Chris