From: Mike Hammett
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2017 9:25 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] So Silicon Valley WISP startup gets $7M investment?

You don't have to wonder. It's simply math.

The big 2.5G IgniteNet has an about -40 signal at 1 km in open space. Full
modulation breaks at -60 dB, so you have 20 dB of fade margin. Rain at 60 GHz
is about 5 dB/km of attenuation, so you can handle a sustained 4" per hour rain
without breaking full modulation on a 1 km link. Measured at the Salt Lake City
Zoo, measured on a five minute interval, you should expect to receive 4" per
hour every 10 - 25 years. Use the NOAA link on that FB post to see how often
you get how much rain at whatever location is more appropriate for you. For
Aurora, IL, rain hits 4.76" per hour when measured on a 5 minute interval every
year, so a much less reliable link for me than you, all else equal.

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP