I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish here …. are you looking
to scrub the traffic clean or just block dirty traffic?  How will you determine
what traffic is dirty and apply rules on the fly?

Sorry - many questions come to mind here and don’t mean to sound negative but
it seriously comes down to expectations.  I’m aware of one company that I’ve
seen that built their own - they spent three years developing it to their needs
with 4 developers working on nothing but it … at the end of the day they spend
more money than just buying an Arbor system and still spend considerable
dollars trying to maintain it ….