Yep, don’t why I didn’t think of that.  The 3011 will fit the bill nicely

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Colin Stanners
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2017 1:36 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] cost effective, mid-range performance Mikrotik router
needed

RB3011. Fast, stable (once you upgrade past earlt factory firmware that had
packet loss bug), $170.

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Paul McCall
<pa...@pdmnet.net<mailto:pa...@pdmnet.net>> wrote:
As we moved all out towers to Fiber / Power up the tower, we still have the
router at the bottom (running a UBNT S16) at the tower top.  The only thing we
really have at the bottom that plugs into the router (other than Fiber) is a
SiteMonitor.   (Boy, I wish it had an SFP, but I digress.)

So, we use something like the CRSCRS125-24G-1S (because it was already there
and has an SFP port)  or a RB2011 (same reason).  Both have a 600Mhz MIPS 74Kc
V4.12.
I am looking to find something that has more power without jumping up to a $
380 CCR1009.  We have 25+ towers that fit into that scenario.  In each case,
these towers never push for than 50 Mbit of BW but often go over 60% CPU.  The
use Queues per connected customers (that it grabs from Radius) and very basic
Firewall rules to restrict access on all the good ports to our internal office
subnet.

But, we just need a bit more horsepower.  Was wondering if someone had any
ideas?  Like maybe building some little cube box to run ROS, but not seeing a
cost effective solution that has a fiber port and a copper port.  There is the
Power Box pro with same CPU but 800Mhz, but not sure that would be the tipping
point that we need long term.

Any suggestions>

Paul

Paul McCall, President