If I were you, I would take a serious look at GPON shelves like ZTE and Calix. CSFP modules let you put two BiDi AE customers on a single slot. 24 port line-card = 48 AE customers. Then I think you can do 8 or 16 port PON cards, 1:32 split = 256 or 512 customers on a single 3U? 4U? chassis, + the 48 AE customers. This is probably what we're going to end up doing with the AE deployment we're managing now. The AE is extremely underutilized and it should've been GPON from the get-go.

If you're doing BiDi now and all the customers home-run to your cabinet, put the GPON splitters at the cabinet. Cake walk. Same boat we're in. Except some retrofit because they used a PAIR per customer. And Clearfield built everything duplex LC. So one strand won't get used in the field. Big whoop. Call the unused one a backup. I love it when nobody listens to me. Coulda started BiDi and went right to GPON with minimal changes.

On 7/31/2017 3:29 PM, Sterling Jacobson wrote:

Ok, so that is the share ratio then.

If I put on 18 customers on a port they would all share the 2.5 down by 1.25 up.

Or if I use 8 instead 4 of the UBNT Fiber OLT I can get 9 customers on that ratio.

That would be 8 U plus 4 U space, which I think is probably my max amount of rack space in the cabinets I am using right now.

That is likely a lot less power than the 12U of 48 port switches I can use right now, but the share ratio is obviously much worse in the long run.

Maybe I do a Hybrid and put 4 of the OLT, and still have 4x48 ports active…

Then in the future if I run into clients complaining about their 1Gbps rate plan not being fast enough on the share ratio of 1 to 18, I can move them back to 1 to 1 active.

*From:* Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] *On Behalf Of *Mike Hammett
*Sent:* Monday, July 31, 2017 2:22 PM
*To:* af@afmug.com
*Subject:* Re: [AFMUG] UBNT OLT Transition from Active Ethernet to GPON

GPON is 2.5 downstream 1.25 upstream per port.

Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL><https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb><https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions><https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
Midwest Internet Exchange <http://www.midwest-ix.com/>
<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix><https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange><https://twitter.com/mdwestix>