Is traffic leaving and arriving through the same provider? Sounds similar to a
Reverse Path Forwarding issue I had a long time ago.

Chris Wright

Network Administrator

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Steve Jones
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:59 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: [AFMUG] help understanding and troubleshooting bgp from the target
perspective

we have been dealing with amazon issues on one of our upstreams

they had some BGP issues where they werent sending our announcements to the
world, watching the peering all of a sudden they were peered with level3
directly, our announcements were working but we started having skullduggery
with amazon and images, im guessing either AWS hosted or in a similar locale

moving them to our other provider (ended up terminating our peering session)
and all was resolved

I have figured out how to poke around in looking glasses and that to get
general paths, but with  the whole distributed hosting and geolocation dns or
whatever, how do i get to a point where i can discover what actual server
theyre getting to and then be able to find out what our ASN looks like from
their perspective?

I think this was an asynchronous path in which one of the directions was
horrible

basic testing, just to the IP resolving to amazon.com each provider path showed
a different IP in resolution using the same DNS servers, which is odd, i guess,
we just run bind recursive with no geo magician .voodoo.

the problem provider had huge latency to both IPs the other was good, from our
ASN

Now hitting the same IP from our edge router, presenting as our provider IP
space the path was different but clean, I asssume thats their internal routing
or something.

long story short, without knowing an engineer at amazon, (or any other target)
is there a way to see the path back to our ASN?