That's typically what I do, just make the parallel backup path one higher at both ends.

But I'll tell you this right now, consider a larger scale for your interface costs. As your OSPF domain grows into more complex rings or more of a mesh, shit will start to get complicated and you'll wish you had more granularity. What I'm moving to is interface cost based on link bandwidth. Kinda like Cisco's auto-cost, but not auto because MikroTik is stupid. Anyway.. take 100,000 รท link bw in Mbps. So 1G=100. An AF24 around 770Mbps would be a cost of about 130. A 360Mbps SAF link would be about 277. Etc, etc. Lots of granularity for tweaking traffic flow.