The Motorola cluster managers could be an NTP server. They had load limits and would crash if you hit them too hard, but if you used it as a source for 1 or 2 servers and then distributed time to other machines from there then you would not overload it.

I'm not sure about the modern CMMx

------ Original Message ------
From: "George Skorup" <george.sko...@cbcast.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 9/5/2017 10:19:28 PM
Subject: [AFMUG] GPS'd NTP

I've got a few CentOS machines running around the network doing various tasks, one being NTP for radios, routers, switches, etc. I've been having some issues with us.pool.ntp.org lately. I switched to time-(a,b,c,d).nist.gov. Apparently those are pretty busy.

So is anyone else using GPS to feed NTPd? From what I've been reading, I guess I need a 1PPS capable receiver. Does that exist in a simple USB package? That would be ideal, preferably with an SMA female for an external antenna where needed. Looks like none of the cheap shit I'm finding on Amazon has PPS output.