From: "George Skorup" <george.sko...@cbcast.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 6, 2017 3:45:42 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] GPS'd NTP

Apparently there are USB sticks that are basically a GPS receiver and a PL2303
for $30-40. So you get the date/time. Cool. Then they take the 1PPS output to
blink a f***ing LED. Really!? I was reading some blogs where folks have opened
them up and wired a super tiny jumper from 1PPS to DCD. That was about 5-6
years ago using older SiRF receivers, too. Meh.

A GPS+GLONASS SBJ basic and USB kit would be pretty cool. Could the USB
interface also power the box, up to say 20-25 feet? The other thing is, all of
the machines I'm working with have a serial port. So maybe just skip the USB
altogether?

I was thinking, maybe take the daisy-chain output from a
SyncInjector/PowerInjector/RackInjector since those switch the pipe/box to NMEA
anyway, but I don't think I'd want a path from the tower-mounted gear to
server(s). And other funky stuff like noise making it into the timing for the
radios would be ungood.