A feature of those batteries is that at 123 pounds they aren't going to walk away very easily!!!

On 10/4/17 8:08 PM, Sean Heskett wrote:
Hey Gino,

Since you are probably limited by time i didn't want to hold things up while i dig up all the photos and schematics.  so to get you started i'd suggest a system like this:

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/1890130/wholesale-solar/complete-systems/1.04-kw-watt-telecom-off-grid-dc-24-48v

we use this supplier a lot and they are great to work with and their prices are decent.

they provide the schematics for how it all gets connected and if you get 5 hours of sunlight per day (which you should in PR even on Dec 21st) then this system will power a 200W tower just fine.  if your tower uses 300W then just add 2 more panels (and another 30A breaker) and you can still use the same morning star 60A charge controller.  If your tower uses more than 300W then keep adding panels, charge controllers and Batts.

You'll need to add batteries, connecting cables  and another 80A breaker (for battery cutoff) to this parts list.  we use UB-4D AGM 200 ah 12 VDC Battery at our towers.  we usually have 12 of them at a site but we are in CO and in December we will go for 2 weeks without any sun (I doubt you have that issue).  you could probably get away with 4-8 of them per tower.

the other item you want to add is this:
http://store.packetflux.com/sitemonitor-interface-for-morningstar-serial/
and this:
http://store.packetflux.com/sitemonitor-base-unit-ii/

the morning start controller does have an ethernet port but you can use SNMP to query the device and graph everything, you can only look at their stats page.  it's much easier to do graphing and alerting with the packetflux devices.

***Be sure to fuse and breaker everything you can***  you want (and need) to be able to turn off all power coming from the panels or batts when you need to work on the system.  (that's what the 80A breaker in the parts list is for.)

for the load side of things you can use these fuse blocks.  they use the car style blade fuses you can get at any parts store or order online.

*Qty.*  *Stock#*        *Mfr. Part #*   *Cust. Part #*  *Price (USD)*   *Total
(USD)*
2 70169109 <http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70169109> 0801733 $5.740 $11.48
        DIN Rail; Steel; Silver; 7.50 mm; 35 mm; 2 m
        *Ship Method:*   FedEx 2nd Day
6 70169386 <http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70169386> 0203250 $9.040 $54.24
        Fixed Bridge Bar; Term Blk; Universal; 10; Silver
        *Ship Method:*   FedEx 2nd Day
12 70169605 <http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70169605> 3047167 $0.690 $8.28
        Partition Plate; Term Blk; Gray; 50 mmL; 2 mm W; 48 mm H
        *Ship Method:*   FedEx 2nd Day
40 70169133 <http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70169133> 3118203 $9.910 $396.40 Conn; Term Blk; Fuse; 1; 2; 26-8AWG; 30A; 300V; 4kV; M4; 1.5Nm; Flat; PA; 10mm
        *Ship Method:*   FedEx 2nd Day
40 70169365 <http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70169365> 3004362 $0.960 $38.40 Conn; Term Blk; Feed Thru; Screw Clamp; 2; 0.2-6sq.mm <http://0.2-6sq.mm>; 24-10 AWG; 6.2 mm W; Gray
        *Ship Method:*   FedEx 2nd Day
4 70169390 <http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=70169390> 0203263 $11.880 $47.52
        Fixed Bridge Bar; Term Blk; Universal; 10; Silver
        *Ship Method:*   FedEx 2nd Day

hit me up if you need help figuring all this out!

also what i've described here is for a totally off grid site.  if you are looking to grid tie in then that's a whole different beast.

hope this all helps!

-sean