There's nothing stopping you from using it without paying, you just don't move it through a broker or exchange.

If you send me Bitcoin direct wallet to wallet, it's free. If I pay someone for services in BTC, it's free. If I mine BTC, I don't have to pay anyone. There's only a cost if I want to exchange it from or to another currency, which is pretty standard.

As far as your statements about it not making sense, you are completely right - if those are your primary requirements (insurance, fraud handling, etc) Bitcoin is not a good replacement for your VISA card.