I think also you could do something similar with floodping?

I used to use that a lot on wireless connections to test consistency (with
Mikrotik on each end)

From: Af [mailto:af-boun...@afmug.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Gray
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 5:08 PM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Failover / Recovery Time Testing?

Adam,

This looks like it will work quite well! So far with some tests I've found 100%
success, which is the foundation for some good test results.

Example from a VM through a couple Juniper switches to a MikroTik:
# ping 10.11.1.3 -i 0.001 -f -c 10000

 --- 10.11.1.3 ping statistics ---
10000 packets transmitted, 10000 received, 0% packet loss, time 10000ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.111/0.122/2.160/0.037 ms, ipg/ewma 1.000/0.118 ms

I'll calculate just like you described + the average ping time to account for
ping replies lost at the beginning of the failure.

I'm not looking to do this everywhere on everything (which would be a reason to
re-consider where my time should be spent), I'm doing testing on the existing
failover methods I've been using. If I find anything is really not as good as I
thought (or much better), then I can use that to guide future design decisions.

Thank you for your help, Chris

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 12:37 PM, Adam Moffett