gcc -o output hello.c

Will compile hello.c to an executable called output

You may need to add switches for libraries to include.

I'm skeptical that you'll be able to generate a bitstream with enough
accuracy under Linux, without extreme programming measures.

I'd suggest a digilent chipkit wifire and the arduino ide for this.  You
should be able to bitbang at least a T1 with this processor (500mhz)