We provide service to the local canal company to measure both levels and
flow.  They have a hole dug out the side with a float in it, and a sensor
measures the flow as it pushes by.  It runs to a device in a small box on a
utility pole, and everything runs on a car battery and small solar panel.
Not sure if this type of setup would work for a lake, but I cannot see why
it wouldn't.