I would have assumed more.
If they installed at 100meg on a 1G physical interface and then turned it up to a gig later, then the field tech would have no involvement and wouldn't know.

On the other hand, they're charging for consumption, so people have a disincentive to actually use it. So, maybe?

------ Original Message ------
From: "Kurt Fankhauser" <lists.wavel...@gmail.com>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: 3/2/2018 10:03:07 AM
Subject: [AFMUG] Typical Cell Tower bandwidth requirement

I was talking to a Spectrum employee yesterday as he was installing a 1gig fiber circuit for me and he started talking about how un-common it was to be seeing a 1 gig DIA circuit installed so i said well what about the cell phone towers, don't those all have a couple gigs to them and he said. "Oh no those usually only have 100meg fiber feeds to them." I was like whoa, thats all? And he said "yeah all the Sprint, T-mobile, and At&T towers that he's been to are all like 100meg and he's like usually the Verizon ones are about 300meg circuits."

Does that really sound possible that a cell tower is only using that much bandwidth? We are pretty rural here county population is only 45,000 and the city populations are only about 12,000. Can this really be true? And if so why can't a WISP sell a backup circuit to a cell tower with some Air Fiber equipment?