That's a pretty blanket statement...I did work in Bolivia over 10 years ago
and it wasn't the case.  Mexico's Cofetel and SCT have shut down and fined
illegal two way radio operators across the border from me.  We know there
are some WISPs in US that use 4.9GHz with their Mikrotik and Ubiquiti set
ups.  I shared a post of a local WISP using 2377MHz until FCC guys from
Dallas shut him down.

Jaime Solorza