When your electricity runs you can run pumps. But they run underwater
telecomunications, underwater power, etc. Even if the tunnel was left
flooded, still better than what happenned. Assuming the island is all
bedrock, wouldnt be a terrible hurricaine shelter for the people without
the resources to build reinforced shelters, heck, bore big enough and the
have an intraisland public transit