From: Adam Moffett
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2018 6:56 AM
To: af@afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Internet is no a right.. f the ot

I may be required to participate in the Lifeline program soon, so I'm freshly
read up on the topic.  The headline illustrates the author's ignorance.

Lifeline was created in the 80's to offset the cost of phone service (offset,
not free) for lower income people.  It was expanded at some point to include
cell phones (also known as "Obamaphone" in right wing media).  In 2016 it was
modified again to include broadband internet.
The subsidy is $9.25/month per household.  A cell phone is the only case where
you might get free service, and it will be a pre-paid plan with hard usage
limits.

If Lifeline for broadband goes away nobody is losing broadband, they just might
have to pay an extra $9.25.  For us I thought it would be a huge waste of time.
 If I'm in a low income household and we're allowed ONE subsidy per household,
would we use it to get a free cell phone or to get a marginal discount on fixed
Internet access?  I'm betting they'll pick the free cell phone every time.  I
think they should poop or get off the pot, i.e.: Make the subsidy for broadband
$30/month which will actually help poor people pay for real broadband access,
or just stop wasting everybody's time on the paperwork.

-Adam