Cloudflare has also screwed-the-pooch at least once in a major way that got national headlines...

On 4/3/18 8:09 AM, Darin Steffl wrote:
The new cloudflare dns is 3ms away from our core, opendns and Google are 12ms away.

And I believe that cloudflare can run way more reliable dns than we can. They also use anycast so if their Minneapolis pop had trouble, we'll route to the next closest pop like Chicago.

I would like to host our own DNS and was planning on adding two servers for this in the spring but with cloudflare introducing this, we may just point customers to them now.

I've seen cloudflare racks and they have a ton of gear and reliability built in. They also host two of the root dns servers. Their cache rate will be much higher than our own servers as well.