For various reasons you need positive voltage if you're doing traditional
power-interruption canopy style sync.  I.E. the type of sync which the
PowerInjector+Sync will do.  This general statement might not be 100% true
with the 450i (and perhaps some other more recent radios), but suffice it
to say that negative voltages aren't easy to deal with for sync.   Because
of this requirement the PIPS requires positive power.

On the rackinjector, we support the newer Cambium style sync, which doesn't
much care about polarity, and also a polarity agnostic board which also
doesn't care about polarity.  For this reason, you can feed negative
voltages into the rackinjector.   Currently, you have to have at least one
of the three power supplies feeding the rackinjector set up for positive
voltage, and the other two can be positive or negative or whatever you
want, depending on the requirements of the expansion cards and the radios.

One of the next released products will be a Cambium Sync product in the
traditional din mounted PIPS form factor.  What is holding us up is that we
need to make the "reliant on a positive voltage source for control"
requirement go away.  Every solution we look at tends to be way more
expensive than we want.

--
*Forrest Christian* *CEO**, PacketFlux Technologies, Inc.*
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/fwchristian>  <http://facebook.com/packetflux>