The following is one exchange from an interview of Ugandan Pres.
Yoweri Museveni by Agnes Asiimwe of the Kampala daily paper, The
Monitor http://www.monitor.co.ug/ , on 27 June 2006 (it was published
on 2 July). Entitled "Nothing to Reconcile About With the Besigyes -
Museveni", it was seen on AllAfrica.com at
http://allafrica.com/stories/200607030426.html . This excerpt deals
with redistricting and language policy. I added the [Q] and [A] based
on my reading of the article (there were no clear markings as to who
was speaking in this part of the interview)...  DZO

http://allafrica.com/stories/200607030426.html?page=4
[Q] What we see in Uganda today is fragmentation, which is also being
encouraged by government policies. We are dividing the country into
many more districts and more alarming is that these districts are
being tied to tribes. So in a way these policies are promoting
sectarianism.

[A] No, there is nothing wrong. These old colonial districts were
suppressive; there was sub-colonialism in colonialism. These Bakiga
were sitting on the Bafumbira of Kisoro. Those Bafumbira of Kisoro
speak a dialect close to Kinyarwanda but when they were in the
District of Kigezi, those Bafumbira were forced to speak Rukiga, which
is quite different from Rufumbira and the people were forced to
abandon their language. Who are you to kill anyone's dialect? Why
should you have an administrative unit that kills the dialect of a
Ugandan? These dialects are a work of God.

This suppression of the different peoples of Uganda is not called for.
That is why in the NRM, we encourage a three-language policy. Let each
group speak their local dialect in their own area - in the district
council, in primary education let it be the medium of instruction.
Secondly, let us teach Swahili which is a regional language and
thirdly, let us teach one international language, English. That way,
we preserve the heritage of the people by speaking their dialect, then
you have the regional lingua franca and an international language.

Our plan, my plan at least, is that maybe if we encourage Swahili, it
may integrate these dialects and become richer. This is what I
discussed with the late Mwalimu [Nyerere] long ago. I was saying why
don't we enrich Swahili with these words from the interior because
Swahili is not as rich as it should be in terms of vocabulary. It is a
good language because it belongs to nobody. It's not anybody's dialect
so everybody can learn it. What we do is, we promote Swahili and let
it integrate these words so that it becomes a very rich African
language for the future. But in the meantime, you cannot kill these
dialects and you think you are doing a service to African heritage.
But, of course, people like the Monitor don't care about African
heritage, African pride, African dignity.

Yahoo! Groups Links