I really don't know about that Don.
I believe those who called him the first professor of Yoruba
Studies, meant to indicate at the Lagos State University. There were
professors of Yoruba studies at other universities in Yorubaland
long before Lagos State university was established.

People like Prof Ayo Bamgboshe whose Phd thesis back in 1966
established the formal linguistic study of Yoruba in modern times,
may be what you are looking for.

ciao
-- In AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com, "Don Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for this item. Is Prof. Folorunso the one under whom it
became
> possible to submit dissertations in Yoruba language?  Don
>
> --- In AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com, "egbaman1" <mildman@>
wrote:

> > This is an article from the Guardian newspaper of
Nigeria ,Wednesday
> > 26th July 2006(yesterday)edition.
> > It was copied and pasted from Odili.net, here's the url:
> > http://odili.net/news/source/2006/jul/26/18.html
> > I believe this may be a dynamic URL, therefore the link/article
will
> > become inaccessible in a few days time.
> >
> > ciao
> >

> > Don canvasses promotion of local languages
> > By Joseph Eshanokpe
> >
> > EXCEPT something is urgently done to promote or invigorate our
> > indigenous languages, we may lose them in future. This was the
> > submission of Prof. Olanrewaju Folorunso at the 27th Inaugural
> > Lecture of the Lagos State University (LASU) recently.
> >

> > Folorunso, who is the first professor of Yoruba Studies, in a
> > lecture entitled: "The Famished Artist in a Famished Society",
took
> > a cursory look at the use of, specifically, the Yoruba language
and
> > concluded that it has been subjected to various abuses in the
past
> > (and now), even by those who are supposed to know - the
> > intellectuals.

Yahoo! Groups Links