This issue - the language(s) used, recorded, or even admitted in the
justice systems and the administration of justice in its fullest sense
is one that has a lot of dimensions. I wonder if it may not be a
larger issue than is realized or acknowledged.

Finally got a copy of Ali Mazrui & Alamin Mazrui's _The Power of
Babel_ and in one chapter in particular (8) they explore a number of
aspects of this issue: "Language Policy and the Rule of Law in
'Anglophone' Africa." I won't try to summarize what they say at this
time, but the book is worth the read (will try to find a review to post).

I would however note that there is a professor in Canada writing in
French - Nazam Halaoui - who has been researching aspects of this
issue. See for example an abstract at
http://www.reds.msh-paris.fr/publications/revue/sommaire/51-52resu.htm
(search the name - abstracts are in Eng. as well as Fr.).

Don Osborn

--- In AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com, "Don Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The following excerpt of an article from the Ghanaian Chronicle
> highlights an interesting topic: the use or non-use of African
> languages in legal systems. From what little I know on the subject, it
> seems that the rules differ by country. In Niger, for instance, the
> legal system permits use of any national language but the court
> records are in French (so translation is necessary); classical Arabic
> is also permitted for written arguments (this reflects the fact many
> people have Koranic school training; there is only a tiny percentage
> of the population that has a dialect of Arabic as a maternal language).
>
> Are there examples from other countries?
>
> Don Osborn
>

> I can express myself better in Ewe - Transport Ministry's PR
> consultant tells CHRAJ
>
> By Phyllis D. Osabutey | Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006
>
> THE PUBLIC Relations Consultant of the Transportation Ministry, Mr.
> Ken S.K.N. Anku, last Thursday told the Commission on Human Rights and
> Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) that he could better express himself in
> Ewe, his native language, than in English.
>
> Mr. Anku started with "enye", meaning "I", when he was being taken
> through affirmation to testify before the Commission in the
> investigations of allegations of corruption, conflict of interest and
> abuse of office against his boss, Dr. Richard Anane.
>
> He then continued with a mixture of the Ewe and English languages in
> response to questions from lead counsel for the Commission, Dr.
> Bondzie Simpson. It was at that point that the panel drew his
> attention to the fact that he ought to answer the question in the
> English language.
>
> His reply that no one indicated to him in what language he should
> answer questions and that it was in the Ewe language that he could
> express himself very well, prompted chairperson of the panel, Ms. Anna
> Bossman, to ask whether in his capacity as the public relations
> consultant to the transportation ministry, he transacted business in
> his native language to which he replied, "No, but I don't do it under
> oath."

> [the full article, which deals mainly with details of the hearing and
> the case and not the language issue, can be read at
> http://www.ghanaian-chronicle.com/thestory.asp?id=10276 ]

Yahoo! Groups Links