I received a question offline about this competition, and ways to
prepare for future such opportunities. In particular the letter
requested any information with regard to writing and groups that a
young writer can attend (in South Africa) to improve her/his writing
skills.

I think this question is of general interest and perhaps there are
examples from elsewhere in the continent.

Don

PS- Regarding the competition mentioned below, the deadline has passed.

http://tonight.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=3331858&fSectionId=505&fSetId=251
> July 10, 2006
>
> By Helen Herimbi
>
> Gavin Hood, Darryl Roodt and other leading players in the South
> African film industry should watch out. There's a new generation of
> young filmmakers coming through the ranks who are already showing
> great potential.
>
> These adolescent contenders for future film-making greatness have been
> given a chance to shine through a joint SABC and Mindpool Productions
> initiative.
>
> Lights Camera Action is a project that incorporates a smorgas-bord of
> stories, straight from the mouths of young South Africans.
>
> It encourages children aged between 10 and 16 to "write a story in any
> South African language, about something that is important to them".
>
> All the entrants will be judged by key industry players like
> scriptwriters, directors and producers, and a winner will be chosen in
> each province.
>
> The winning stories will be fine-tuned into film scripts and short
> films, which will be showcased on SABC in 2007.
>
> The children involved will also take part in a National Awards
> Festival, where they will judge their peers in selecting the best
> films that are produced in the various categories.
>
> Thereafter the best film will be sent over to Italy for the Ciak
> Junior competition to be judged among the best films from all over of
> the world.
>
> The stories should be at least two pages long, but not longer than
> five pages.
>
> Entry forms can be obtained by contacting 086-22-22-005.
>
> Entries must be submitted by October 31.
>
> The winners will be notified in February 2007.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: