Thanks for this interesting item. I agree that there are a lot of
subtle ways that media only or almost only in English or French or
Portuguese establish the impression that new technologies and content
are naturally in those languages. This is also true for computing and
the internet, although there are a few noteworthy efforts to localize
software and content. With regard to children, the TuxPaint software,
which is a fun drawing program, has been localized in Swahili and I
believe in some South African languages.

There are also efforts on a small scale to develop literature in
African languages - thinking of children's literature there are a few
such publications, but there could be a lot more.

Another dimension is the volume of material - children's TV
entertainment, books, comics, etc. - in European languages. I remember
in Niamey that some Nigerien friends with the means had kids' videos
for their children - only in French. Of course nothing was available
in Hausa or Zarma - these are languages of tens of millions and
millions of speakers respectively, but mostly very pooor (so no market).

It would be interesting to develop a peoject to translate into some
African languages a range of materials for children - a manageable and
quality selection, produced with an eye to quality of translation,
atractiveness, and low price. Unmanageable? Well they do it in China,
admittedly with an economy of scale. But certainly there are models
there that can be adapted (see in this regard the thread on this list
beginning with message #460).

Maybe South Africa could start such an effort?

Don

--- In AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com, "polyglute" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> One of the impediment for the promotion of african languages is the
> perception, especially in urban areas, that african languages are not
> related to modernity.  One of cause of this misperception is the lack
> of use of local languages in education, in teaching sciences, on TV or
> on the internet.  Its especially commendable that they'll extend their
> local languages line up to cover tv shows for children.  Children
> will be more able to look up at african languages, and their
> "africanity" as a whole, as compatible with the current modern era.

> Boost for investigative journalism at SABC
>
> March 29, 2007, 14:45
>
> SABC News has launched two new TV series to add to its existing
> line-up, thereby extending its programming in Nguni and Sesotho.
>
> The programmes, which are in line with the corporation's public
> service mandate and which will kick in next week, feature a Nguni
> consumer rights programme , which will be aired on SABC1 from 1pm to
> 2pm every Friday, and an in-depth investigative current affairs show
> in Sesotho (with Englsih subtitles), Leihlo La Sechaba, which will go
> out between 9.30pm and 10pm on Wednesdays nights on SABC2.
>
> Of the consumer rights programmes, Snuki Zikalala, the SABC News MD,
> says: "This .... is to help South Africans know about the range of
> laws available to safguard themselves against any real or perceived
> infringement of their rights."
>
> Kids News will be broadcast in additional African languages including
> Afrikaans, Sepedi, Tshivenda, Xitsonga and Sesotho. These will be
> aired 4 - 4.30pm Monday to Thursday on SABC 2. Kids News in English
> will be broadcast on Saturday and Sunday mornings
>
> http://www.sabcnews.com/south_africa/general/0,2172,146289,00.html

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional