The following item from the Harare paper, the Herald, was seen on
AllAfrica.com at http://allafrica.com/stories/200703190921.html . One
question is whether any attention has been given to develooping Shona
<-> Chinese materials. It goes without saying that there is a lot
available in English on the Chinese language, but I think that
introductions to this world language in Shona (or Ndebele, a language
very close to Zulu) might be very useful to learners. Personally when
I studied Chinese, I found some aspects of Bambara more similar to
that language than English was to either. Could it be similar with
southern African languages and Chinese? At least there would be useful
perspectives.  Don

Zimbabwe: UZ Opens Chinese Language Centre
The Herald (Harare)
http://www.herald.co.zw/
March 17, 2007
Posted to the web March 19, 2007

Harare

THE University of Zimbabwe yesterday officially opened the Confucius
Institute, a Chinese language and cultural centre, which is expected
to enhance bilateral relations between Zimbabwe and China.

Speaking at the official opening of the institute, Minister of Higher
and Tertiary Education Dr Stan Mudenge said the establishment of the
institute mirrors the extent of the growth of bilateral relations
between Zimbabwe and China.
Africa 2007

"This support has transcended all prejudice and I am proud to say that
the establishment of the institute is an excellent example of
goodwill, sincerity and generosity of the people of China," said Dr
Mudenge.

The institute, he said, would also go a long way in strengthening
multicultural citizenship as well as contributing in the cultivation
and consolidation of peace in the world through development of
intercultural dialogue.

The facility, Dr Mudenge said, should be in the forefront of providing
a social and intellectual nexus not only between the people of
Zimbabwe and China but the general populace of the African and Asian
continents.

He said the institute must also enhance the acquisition of more
accurate knowledge and information about the two nations and also open
up greater opportunities in education, commerce and industry.

The minister also thanked the Chinese government for being an
all-weather friend to Zimbabwe.

"China has proved to be an all-weather friend to Zimbabwe and the long
standing relations dates back to the days of the liberation struggle,"
he said.

The Asian country supplied weapons and facilitated the execution of
Zimbabwe's liberation war.

Speaking at the same occasion, Chinese Ambassador to Zimbabwe Mr Yuan
Nansheng said China was committed to promoting social and economic
development.

He said the two nations should further enhance relations through
strengthening cultural exchanges.

"We need to remove natural barriers and overcome physical isolation,
we also need to remove obstacles and obstruction of the mind and
overcome various prejudices and misunderstandings," Mr Yuan said.

Copyright © 2007 The Herald. All rights reserved.

**************************** Disclaimer ******************************
Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section
107, this material is distributed without profit for research and
educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted
to this list for purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain
permission from the copyright owner.
Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy
of the contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of
the copyright owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or
disagree with any opinions that are expressed in this message.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: