The following item was seen on Christianity Today site via a Google
alert. It concerns efforts to produce Christian Bibles in diverse
languages, including African ones. Any who are interested in the topic
of Bibles in African languages may want to look also at a discussion
thread on the H-Africa list last month entitled "Missionaries to
Africa: Where are the Bibles?" See
http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrowse.pl?trx=lx&list=H-Africa&user=&pw=&month=0710

Don

Scrambling for Bibles
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/august/25.46.html
The world may have moved in next door, but non-English Scriptures
remain frustratingly hard to find.
Christopher Lewis | posted 8/30/2007 09:16AM

In the buckle of the Bible Belt last year, Katie Richardson found
herself scrambling for, of all things, a Bible.

The World Relief caseworker was shepherding a Muslim Somali family
through a refugee resettlement program in Nashville. That's when the
family's eldest brother, during his sister's hospital stay after
surgery, asked for a Somali Bible.

"I didn't know it would be such an ordeal," Richardson said. Her staff
spent weeks chasing dead-end leads before finally sleuthing out an
online catalog specializing in non-English Scripture. Richardson
ordered 10 Somali Bibles, only to find just one Somali New Testament
in stock.

"Many of our refugees come from closed countries where they've never
heard the gospel," Richardson said. "It shouldn't be this hard."

The call to "go ye into all the world" spurred a 19th and 20th-century
mission movement from North America. But now that the world has moved
in next door, some are asking, "Where are the Bibles?"

Often they're concentrated overseas, where Bible agencies hold
copyrights to various translations, and where printing and
distribution systems are most cost-effective. As a result, a handful
of retailers, ethnic ministries, and home missionaries have pioneered
their own supply networks to funnel non-English Bibles back to the
United States—where at least 12 percent of the population is now
foreign-born. But they wonder why, in this technologically advanced,
global age, the non-English Word remains so elusive here.

"It's a very significant problem, one the International Bible Society
has wrestled with for years," said Steve Johnson, publisher of the
International Bible Society, which in March merged with the Christian
distributor Send The Light (IBS-STL). "It's a challenge to get these
translations we own overseas to indigenous communities in the U.S."

According to a 2006 United Bible Societies report, 1,541 languages now
have a printed New Testament. Fewer than 200 of these translations are
available for sale in North America, however, and many common
languages are difficult to keep in stock.

Some leaders of smaller ministries blame the large Bible operations
for safeguarding their copyright investments by limiting reprint and
distribution rights. The monopolizing effect, they say, restricts
access to God's Word and inhibits its missional mandate. Yet outdated
business and mission models are as likely to blame for the bottleneck
on foreign-language Scripture.

The Chicago-based Bible League, for instance, has long found it more
efficient to print and distribute African-language Scripture from the
Ukraine. The immigration wave of the last 20 years is now forcing
it—and other U.S.-based ministries—to probe for new ways of operating,
said Bible League executive Mike Southworth.

"We're just beginning to ask the question, 'For Nigerians in New York
City, how do we make available to them the resources that we already
have in Nigeria?'" Southworth said.
Society Snags

Starting in the 1970s, Seattle surgeon Kyle Chapman vowed to give all
his patients a Bible in their native tongue. But he felt stymied by
U.S. Bible agencies, which were consistently out of stock of the
translations he wanted. The agencies also complained that he "strained
resources" by placing more than one order at a time. Meanwhile, the
better-furnished Canadian Bible Society, citing UBS protocol, refused
to ship him orders a few miles across the border.

So Chapman developed his own resource channels through missionaries.
He gathered Bibles in 350 languages at his farmhouse, and Bible
societies started referring people to him. During the 1990s Bosnian
War, the ABS itself called him and requested a Croatian Bible.

"It started as a hobby. Then I became a source," said Chapman, who at
age 81 still keeps several translations on tap. "It's a tragedy that,
in this age of jet travel, Bibles aren't readily available here."

Jay Krause knows the feeling. After managing a bookstore for Operation
Mobilization, Krause returned to the U.S. to find ministries
struggling to serve an influx of internationals with Bibles. "It's
like a famine," Krause was told.

He started phoning contacts overseas: publishers, booksellers, and
missionaries. In 1985, when his Bible inventory outgrew his bedroom,
Krause opened Multi-Language Media, a supplier now based in Ephrata,
Pennsylvania.

Krause fields customer referrals from ABS and IBS for hard-to-get
languages like Albanian and Nepali. Still, because of the shortage of
Bibles, some distributors have seen Russian and Korean Bibles scalped
online for as much as $300 each. "Unfortunately, it's sometimes about
who you know," said Steve Maxted of MGL Multilingual, a Tacoma-based
supplier.

Bibles Without Borders

Complaints about Bible societies have caught the agencies'
attention—and they've begun responding. During the last several years,
IBS has partnered with frontline ministries that work with
internationals in the U.S., helping them to raise funds for
non-English Bibles. IBS has also created a top-10 list of Bible needs,
based on both demographics and spiritual need.

"People need Scripture in their own cultural context," publisher
Johnson said. "IBS has a responsibility to re-inject the Word back
into American culture, in the languages America is now speaking."

Last year, the United Bible Societies addressed a key element of the
problem by relaxing borders between its 141 member agencies.
U.S.-based customers, once limited to requesting orders through the
American Bible Society, may now contact overseas societies directly.

"Our traditional model was restrictive," said John Cruz, executive
director of ABS's Bibles.com unit."But the world has become a much
smaller place. Sometimes, a home country is better able to serve a
population than the host country."

The offspring of a $1 million cost-cutting move in 2003, Bibles.com
outsourced warehouse operations and reduced staff. The result, Cruz
said, is more efficient service and affordable Bibles—not to mention a
greatly expanded selection of languages.

"We're building up the [ABS language] list, but we have to be good
stewards of limited resources," Cruz said. While inventory in
Cambodian, Cebuano, Czech, Portuguese, Lithuanian, Russian, and Syriac
is improving, languages like Kinyarwanda (Rwanda's main language)
remain perennial problems. ABS officials say it's not feasible to
warehouse every language, but they note their recent work with foreign
Bible societies to better forecast inventory needs, order extra stock,
and track immigrant populations in the U.S.

"We're more proactive now," said John Greco, director of operations
for Bibles.com. "We weren't as keen on planning before, but [now]
we're really seeing where the holes in the [supply] lines are."

Another challenge remains, however. In 2001, the 25-member Forum of
Bible Agencies, which includes groups like ABS, the Bible Society, and
Wycliffe Bible Translators, set out to create an internet catalog of
the world's Bibles. More than 40 million people in the U.S. don't
speak English as their first language. Yet as of today, the Forum has
been unable to establish an online database, let alone to begin
selling Scripture from it. If all goes well, a site might launch later
this year.

"For the church working with the diaspora, it's really disappointing
that [such a website] doesn't exist," said Roberto Laver, the Forum's
executive director. "But we're operating in a very decentralized world
of Scripture information. It's difficult to get buy-in from everyone."

In 1816, ABS founders stood on the steps of the newly built City Hall
in New York City and pledged to disseminate Bibles "until the whole
Earth be full of the knowledge of Jehovah."

Although more Bible translations exist today than ever before—2,400
languages have at least a portion of Scripture—the ABS's goal remains
elusive. Better cooperation between Bible ministries would go a long
way toward fulfilling it.

Christopher Lewis is a freelance journalist based in Kansas City,
Missouri.

Copyright © 2007 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.

**************************** Disclaimer ******************************
Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section
107, this material is distributed without profit for research and
educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted
to this list for purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain
permission from the copyright owner.
Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy
of the contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of
the copyright owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or
disagree with any opinions that are expressed in this message.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: