Hi Don,

I have been off this and several other forums for more than a year.
It's good to see that you've kept the fire burning.

All the best.

Vukoni

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4260&Itemid=0
> [...]
> to colonial mentality.
>
> He stated:
>
> "Teaching can be done in Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Nupe, Itsekiri, I
> pioneered it in science at Nsukka. I got the proceedings of a
> conference translated into Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa. I believe everyone
> can learn in their own native language."
>
> Revealing an experiment he made to know the acceptability of mother
> tongue for teaching, the renowned educationist said pupils preferred
> to learn in their own language instead of English, as they can express
> themselves better in their mother tongue.
>
> Children should be given early education in mother tongue, because
> investigation has shown that it will last long er in their cognitive
> domain than any alien tongue.
>
> The United Nations Education Scientific and Cultural Organisation
> (UNESCO) after assessing the use of the child's native language  in
> teaching and found it successful, recommended the approach. Children
> will excel more when taught in local language.
>
> Fafunwa believes science and mathematics can be taught in Yoruba,
> Igbo, Hausa or any other indigenous language.
>
> He has published books on science and mathematics in Yoruba for
> primary education which have been translated into Igbo, Nupe, etc.
>
> Fafunwa faulted those who argued that Yoruba or other native languages
> have no numerals, nor scientific terms, words of formula.
>
> "English used Arabic numerals. If English can borrow, we also can
> borrow. There are a number of ways to treat a language: borrow,
> convert, invent, add."
>
> All great, highly developed countries in the world speak their own
> languages, including the newly emerging economic and industrial powers
> of South East Asia, even though they were colonised by Britain.
>
> The time has come for Nigeria to shrug off Colonial mentality by
> discarding English and develop a national indigenous language out of
> the motley of native tongues in the country.
>
> This may not be easy due to our cultural, ethnic and linguistic
> diversity. But the nation can start thinking about it, especially in
> using mother tongue to teach pupils in primary education.
>
> The Lagos State House of Assembly is setting the pace by adopting
> Yoruba as official language in conducting proceedings.
>
> © 2008 Vanguard Media Limited
>
> **************************** Disclaimer ******************************
> Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section
> 107, this material is distributed without profit for research and
> educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted
> to this list for purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain
> permission from the copyright owner.
> Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy
> of the contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of
> the copyright owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or
> disagree with any opinions that are expressed in this message.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: