This blog post is 4 years old but I post it largely because it is an
interesting short discussion of languages in an African country and it
mentions the practice of beating students for speaking their mother
tongue in school (ref message #975 on this list).

On Lesotho
http://lesotho.blogspot.com/2004/01/speaking-english-in-lesotho-ho-bua.html
Speaking English in Lesotho (Ho bua Senyesemane Lesotho)

As far as I can remember I've always spoken English. It is my second
language that has now become my first. Sesotho has been dethroned and
it doesn't look like there's anything it can do about it. I think that
that is fundamentally wrong.

It is well and good to speak English, the business lingua franca of
our times, or French, or Spanish, but up to a point. And as far as I'm
concerned, that point does not go beyond burying one's own mother
tongue. It does not include punishing school children when they
communicate in their own mother tongue.

Yes, we were beaten up if we spoke Sesotho at school. The teacher or
the principal would elect prefects, who went around with pen and paper
writing down names of "wrong-doers." And those would duly get whipped,
to the glee and mirth of the faultlessly English speaking clique.

I mean, holy +%#&, what the shite was that all about? You mean our
teachers and parents and school system were happier when we spoke
someone else's language better than our own? That's insane! I do not
know how the system functions today but if our young country folk are
still being terrorised in that fashion then the whole system needs to
be chucked out the window and a new one designed.

The last thing we want is little Basotho-cum-Brits running around
speaking in tongues and thinking that those tongues are better than
their very own, and that those tongues give them some sort of edge
over their other Basotho-cum-Basotho country folk who speak good
Sesotho and poor English.

Don't get me wrong, I like English. It's a fun language. Through it
I'm able to talk to millions (precisely what I'm trying to do at this
very moment), but I like Sesotho more. (It's more fun and it sounds
better and tones), and it is all mine! Nobody can say a word about how
I pronounce it or don't pronounce it. And when I speak Sesotho, I feel
whole and on a par with anybody else. I do think there are serious
repercussions to forcing people to abandon their mother tongue or not
to speak it as well as they should. Inferiority complex is one such
repercussion. You're doing your darndest to speak someone else's
language, but you'll always be a step or two behind in a meeting, at
the restaurant during a heated discussion, at the job interview, and
so on. And you know it. The crunch comes when you realise that you
don't really master your mother tongue either.

Listen to anybody in Lesotho speak Sesotho and you'll soon realise
that everybody is speaking a mixture of English and Sesotho and
Afrikaans. I'm sure if ntate Moshoeshoe the First came back today he'd
be stumped! He wouldn't know what the hell we were talking about.

Posted by Rethabile @ 8:10 AM

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional