This is classic - thanks for sharing it.

A colleague has an article in press about how much time in
French-medium primary schools is spent on the French language (getting
accents and spellings right) and the corresponding costs in terms of
education in science, math, social studies, etc.

Three years ago, Zambian teachers requested that science and math be
taught in children's first languages instead of English to improve
comprehension. (See message #390 on this group.)

All schooling is not the same, of course, and it can be argued that
some of the choices in terms of language of instruction (English-only,
French-only) have penalized most children and their societies.

Don

--- In AfricanLanguages@yahoogroups.com, "polyglute" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Here's  a little anectoral gems from a Nigerian newspaper.  Just
> imagine, the benefit of using local language for the comprehension of
> schools subjects like mathematics, science, history, etc.  A bit like
> this little example in this text shows, its the difference in knowing
> and understanding it which involve internalization of the knowledge (not
> externalisation like when you use foreign language or colonial
> language).

> -------
>
> [b]I want to be in school, says JSS 2 pupil-turned fish sellerBy [/b]
>
> Abimbola Adelakun    Published: Friday, 4 Jul 2008
> Itwas 12 noon on Thursday and in the hot sun in Mangoro market of
> Ikeja,Lagos State, Bolanle Lasisi, with a child strapped to her back,
> washelping her mother to sell wares which consisted of smoked
> fish,potatoes and oranges.
>
> She is a JS 2 student of a secondaryschool in Ikeja. She, like thousands
> of her mates all over the country,has been sent out of school with the
> school compound shut behind thembecause of the ongoing teachers'
> strike.
>
> She had her bookopened in front of her attempting to read it. But she
> couldn'tconcentrate because of the various distractions she had to
> cope with.
>
> Sheattended to the customers who came to buy her mother's wares.
> Heryounger ones in the primary school who were also not in school
> becauseof the strike, crowded around her, playing.
>
> Then, the baby on her back had to be attended to too. She give up, shut
> the book and turned to our correspondent.
>
> [b]"I  want to be in school," she said in smattering English
> which she couldn't sustain she then changed to Yoruba language.
>
> "Iwish they will end the strike quickly. I am not happy. All of us
> (sheand her siblings) are not doing anything." [/b]Her mother, Mrs.
> OyebolaLasisi, is not happy either. She wants the strike to end and when
> sheheard that her daughter was conversing with a journalist, expressed
> herfeelings.
>
> "Help us beg the government. Let them pay the teachersbetter salary
> so that our children can go back to school. The childrenjust play around
> and that is why I brought them to the market with me.If only I had
> money, my own children too would have been attendingprivate school by
> now. They would not be at home like this."
>
> Bolanle's mother might have been echoing the mind of various other
> parents whose children are victims of the strike.
>
> OnJune 30, teachers all over the federation proceeded on an
> indefinitestrike to press home their demands from the government. They
> want a newteachers' salary scale and after a warning strike, they
> proceeded on anindefinite one, paralysing all academic activities.
>
> Also in themarket was Joshua Onyekwere, a student of Ikeja High School,
> Lagos. Heand his brother were also in the market selling Ugwu, crayfish,
> groundmelons and other such stuff. The strike is not making them
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: