This is the first of 2 items from earlier this year that have to do
with languages outside of Africa, but which may be of interest. This
one is about Native Americans in Canada trying to revitalize their
languages. It is from the Canadian paper, Globe & Mail.

Language crusaders revitalize dying tongues
As Canada's native dialects slide toward obsolescence, aboriginal
groups are finding resourceful ways to ensure linguistic posterity
PATRICK WHITE
>From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080115.Lcensuslanguages0116/BNStory/lifeMain/home
January 16, 2008 at 4:36 AM EST

For a brief time when he was 6, Chief Robert Joseph's schoolteachers
rendered him mute.

If he dared speak Kwak'wala, his only tongue, even to complain of
t'sit'saxsisala (sore feet) or t'ixwa ( a cough), the missionaries at
St. Michael's Residential School in Alert Bay, B.C., would strike.
Related Articles

And if Mr. Joseph's friends mustered the audacity to ask him
yalkawa'mas — did you get hurt? — they risked a smack themselves.

"I certainly saw my share of rulers, straps and cuffs on the ear," Mr.
Joseph says in perfect English, the language forced upon him 62 years
ago. "You had to pick up English or not communicate at all."

Others students had it worse. One common punishment involved a sewing
needle through the tongue.

The last native residential schools closed in 1996, but the silencing
of native tongues continues.

Tuesday, Statistics Canada released data showing nearly all of
Canada's native languages sliding toward obsolescence as fluent elders
die and young aboriginals grow up speaking only English or French.

In new data culled from the 2006 census, 21.5 per cent of aboriginals
reported speaking their ancestral tongue fluently, down from 24 per
cent in 2001 and 29 per cent in 1996.

Some languages — Haida, Tlingit and Maliseet among them — lost
one-third of their mother-tongue speakers over the first half of the
21st century. Others are down to just one fluent speaker.

But there are optimistic storylines tucked within those bleak numbers.
Among the country's population of first nations — all aboriginals who
are not Inuit or Métis — those who said they can converse in an
aboriginal language held steady at 29 per cent between 2001 and 2006.
And the number of conversant young aboriginals living on reserves
increased 1 per cent.

That reversal, however slight, is due in part to language crusaders
working to revitalize dying tongues and even revive dead ones. In
small pockets across the country, aboriginal groups are striking up
immersion programs, recording fluent elders and uploading phrases to
the Web to ensure linguistic posterity.

One of the most ambitious of those projects is FirstVoices, a
B.C.-based online archive that hosts aural dictionaries, phrase books,
songs, stories and interactive language games for more than 60
languages, some based as far away as California.

For $2,500, FirstVoices provides communities with digital recording
equipment to upload their language online.

"I realized that we were at a moment in human history where, in the
blink of an eye, the last speakers of a range of languages were
passing away every day," says Peter Brand, one of its creators.

For Mr. Brand's co-creator, John Elliott, it was more personal.

His late father, Dave, spent the last 20 years of his life typing out
Sencoten — the language of Vancouver Island's Saanich people — words
and phrases, even inventing an entire Sencoten (pronounced
Sen-chaw-then) alphabet that was less cumbersome than anything
university linguists had taught him.

When he died in 1985, Dave Elliott left his son several binders full
of typed and handwritten pages, much of which is now catalogued at
FirstVoices.

Every child at Lauwelnew Tribal School, just outside Victoria, now
takes a Sencoten class every day and the community has become home to
dozens of young, semi-fluent speakers. Four of the 20 or so elders
fluent in Sencoten died around Christmas, but their voices will live
on in students graduating this spring.

"They will not be fluent, but at least they have a grasp," says Linda
Elliott, John's sister, who also teaches Sencoten. To reinforce the
use of Sencoten, many of the local street signs, bus schedules and
park markers incorporate the endangered language.

Other aboriginal groups in British Columbia have used FirstVoices to
buoy school immersion programs.

Farther east, one aboriginal group is leaning on FirstVoices to bring
back its language, extinct for more than a century.

Four hundred years ago, roughly 35,000 people living between Lake
Simcoe and Georgian Bay spoke Huron. By the 20th century, however, the
French language and diseases had silenced it.

Fortunately, Jesuit missionaries kept copious lexicons of Huron words
and phrases. And now members of the Huron-Wendat nation, with help
from a $1-million grant and Laval University, are working on
dictionaries and course materials with the goal of creating an entire
school curriculum.

"We know it will never be a first language," says Isabelle Picard,
who's heading up the program. "We're aiming for Huron as a second
language."

Why bother, then, if the language can never come back fully?

"When you are a native without language, you are without culture," Ms.
Picard says. "The way that Huron words are built, we can actually
learn what our ancestors were thinking."

Linda Elliott offers her students much the same explanation, but with
an example. She tells them that the word celanen — the total body of
knowledge passed down to young people — has no English equivalent.

"Within language, there is a whole world view," Ms. Elliott says.
"When we don't pass that on to our children, our young people get lost
and society breaks down."

To the skeptics who doubt them, Canada's language crusaders point to
Welsh, Hebrew and Yiddish — all languages that were revitalized over
the past century through intensive education programs.

"We can take heart from those examples," Mr. Brant says. "The least
our generation can do is give future generations a chance to access
their language."

But they could use more help. In 2003, the federal government promised
$172-million over 10 years to preserve aboriginal languages, a pledge
the Conservatives clawed back in November, 2006.

"I was surprised there wasn't more of an uproar about it," says Chief
Joseph, who still worries about the fate of Kwak'wala despite growing
interest among the young people of northern Vancouver Island.

He recently had a dream in which he was standing alone on a desolate
beach.

"There was nobody left to talk to," Mr. Joseph says, "so I started
babbling to myself. I hope it means nothing."

© Copyright 2008 CTVglobemedia Publishing Inc. All Rights Reserved.

**************************** Disclaimer ******************************
Copyright: In accordance with Title 17, United States Code Section
107, this material is distributed without profit for research and
educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material posted
to this list for purposes that go beyond "fair use," you must obtain
permission from the copyright owner.
Content: The sender does not vouch for the veracity nor the accuracy
of the contents of this message, which are the sole responsibility of
the copyright owner. Also, the sender does not necessarily agree or
disagree with any opinions that are expressed in this message.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: