Linas,

So you do not believe finite sets can contain contradictory meanings?
Because the proof that sets can have contradictory meanings uses infinities?

Despite the evidence of contradictory meanings in real sets, from real
language, going back 60 years.

Meanwhile linguistics is still split, structuralism is still destroyed.
No-one knows why distributed representation works better, and equally
no-one knows why we can't "learn" adequate representations.

So we flounder around, struggling with stuff which either "works" better or
doesn't "work" better, for what reason, nobody knows quite why.

Your solution is a return to symbolism?

OK. I got excited for a minute when I saw your reference to category
theory. But actually it turns out you don't see any special significance to
it. It is just your path back to symbolism.

So I'm back with my original assessment of OpenCog: it is stuck back in a
prior, symbolic, conception of computational linguistics.

Just as deep nets are stuck trying to "learn" representations. And a tweak
to add ad-hoc layers, to put a "spotlight" on fragments of context and
"learn" fragments of observed agreement and dependency, seems like an
"important step".

Whew, that's a relief. No advance in AI in the last 60 years after all.
Except distributed representation this last few years. But nobody knows
why. Back in our comfort zone.

Anyway, to round off, I don't think the OpenAI stuff is an important
advance. Incrementally they may be including fragments of context, but
everything has to be learned, from bigger and bigger data sets. There's
still no principle of combination of elements to create new meaning.

OpenCog may be capable of everything in principle. A network is a fully
flexible data structure. Ben saw that similarity with what I propose. But
you are not doing anything new in practice. Far from seeing the need for
it, you are moving away from distributed representation again. Stuck
thinking in terms of symbolic era theory.

But using the state-of-the-art from deep nets in practice.

LV> '...what's the diff?  Yes, I'm using the "observed words", just like
everyone else. And doing something with them, just like everyone else.'

Yup.

-Rob