The character recognition demo doesn't work for me. It spins for a minute
and outputs an empty graph.

The paper reads like a patent application. But patenting something that
nobody can build is not a good strategy. You are better off patenting
something trivial and obvious and waiting for someone to step on it.
Forgent made $118 million on the idea of using a single symbol to encode a
run of zeros followed by a nonzero value. This technique is used in JPEG,
which was believed to be patent free.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15534260/ns/business-us_business/t/patent-troll-forgent-settles-jpeg-case/

But keep it up. Everyone thinks AGI is easy until they try to build it.