How long is "long term memory"?

On 03.08.2019 21:41, Matt Mahoney wrote:
My paper on the cost of AI is published as a book chapter in
"Philosophy of Mind: Contemporary Perspectives" in 2017. My main
contribution is using data compression to estimate the information
content of our DNA in equivalent lines of code. It is about 300
million lines. It represents about half of a person's knowledge. The
other half is learned and stored in long term memory.

Each half is on the order of 10^9 bits. This does not seem like a lot.
It is probably why Turing predicted in 1950 that a computer with 10^9
bits of memory and no faster than current technology (vacuum tubes and
relays) would win the imitation game (pass the Turing test) in 2000.
He probably assumed a computer could be educated as a child, so 10^9
bits of training text at 10 Hz over a decade should be sufficient.

But automating human labor also requires vision, complex robotics, and
modeling human behavior including humor, art, music, food, and
emotions. That is AGI. Training vision alone requires a decade of high
resolution video, 137M pixels per eye at 10 Hz. That's over 10^18
bits. We know from experiments that could only be done recently on
supercomputers that neural networks give the best results over a wide
range of AI problems. A human brain sized neural network with 86
billion neurons and 600 trillion synapses at 10 Hz requires 12
petaflops and a petabyte of RAM.

At the current cost of 1MW of electricity per petaflop, automating 5
billion workers will require 60,000 terawatts of power. Current global
energy production is 15 TW. I think the power requirements can be
reduced through specialization and neuromorphic hardware, but it will
still be well above the 0.7 TW it takes to feed the world's population
unless we find an alternative to computing with transistors.

300M lines of code will cost $30 billion. But really, this is an
insignificant fraction of the total cost. We shouldn't bother with
alternatives like evolution or other reinforcement learning. The
problem with evolution is each life or death decision only transmits
one bit. The biosphere has 10^37 bits of DNA. Human evolution took
10^48 DNA copy operations and 10^50 transcription operations over
10^17 seconds (3 billion years) assuming a cell replication rate of
10^-6 Hz (11 days). Keep in mind these operations use only a billionth
as much energy as in transistors or 10,000th as much as in neurons.

The next decade of human labor will cost $1 quadrillion. Keep in mind
what you want to achieve and can achieve. There are millions of job
specializations. Automating just one is hard. But if millions of
people can do this, then we have AGI.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019, 3:56 PM Secretary of Trades
<costi.dumitre...@gmx.com <mailto:costi.dumitre...@gmx.com>> wrote:

    Matt do another paper and find a way to refer work that goes without
    publishing papers and books, such as the Senator's.

    On 02.08.2019 05:53, Matt Mahoney wrote:
    > The obvious application of AGI is automating $80 trillion per year
    > that we have to pay people for work that machines aren't smart
    enough
    > to do. That means solving hard problems in language, vision,
    robotics,
    > art, and modeling human behavior. I listed the requirements in more
    > detail in my paper. The solution is going to require decades of
    global
    > effort. The best that individuals can do is make small steps
    towards a
    > solution. http://mattmahoney.net/costofai.pdf

*Artificial General Intelligence List
<https://agi.topicbox.com/latest>* / AGI / see discussions