I was working on the compression prize last month ago or so for many reasons. I
failed every time but I learned a lot more about trees, bin files, etc. Every
time I'd come up with a unique solution that's innovative but however was not
verified to do the job well enough

One idea was that 9^9^9^9^9 creates a massive number in binary. Using just a
few bits. It's most of the file. You can generate a huge movie - at least a few
thousand for sure out of all possible movies. Better yet, you can manipulate it
with high precision ex. 9^9^9+1 changes the binary data by 1 single bit
increase. You could attempt to recreate small parts of the binary stream like
this, instead of 9^9 for the WHOLE bloody file.

One idea was a binary tree - stick parts of the 100MB binary stream into a
binary tree and remember the order the branches lay in. Both "10100001" and
"101110101" share the first 3 bits. Binary is already storing massive numbers.
So this idea topped the cake, it stores binary code in a yet better code.

One idea was  to store the binary bit length (or word length), the dict of all
words, and add word by word based on a range working through all possible
files. Last I remember this would have worked if there wasn't SO much
unstructured crap in the 100MB :-)

Another idea I was just pondering is taking the smallest text file, smallest
compressor, and finding the maximal compression, but slightly larger files each
time. You could possibly learn what max compression looks like.
Also, the decompressor and compressed txt file are smallest when both are
smaller in size - the decompressor could have ALL the data in it and cheat
while the compressed file has 0 bits,   therefore if both are evenly sized both
might be smallest in size! Like this:

A=compressed file size
B=decompressor file size

N/A