If you use a cloud, I use Azure and OVH is very good, you can spin up many
cores/GPU's for a short period of time with low cost. So dev on your local
machine for a few cores but allow scaling to many cores. While there is a
virtualization layer in cloud on the cores allocated newer CPU's have the
virtualization logic mostly hard wired except for a light OS layer and some
cloud layer....  you probably use Google cloud but for "bare" metal OVH is
great IMO.. Azure is great for scripting resources. You could also target
containers. I personally don't use them but many people like containers.