Dear all,

I would like to inform the members of the cvnet that recently a new
paradigm has been proposed on how the mind emerges from the brain.
According to that paradigm, synapses and connections are no longer central.
Instead, critical are some other types of proteins on the neural membrane.
These proteins have the capability to transiently select subnetworks that
will be operational in the next few seconds or minutes. The paradigm
proposes that cognition emerges from those transient subnetwork selections
(and not from network computations of the classical, so-called
connectionist approach). The proteins in question are metabotropic
receptors and G protein-gated ion channels. Simply put, we think with those
proteins.

Implications for AI are immense.

Here is a link to the paper:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1476927123000117?dgcid=author

If you do not have access, here is the arXiv preprint:
https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.11249

Happy reading.

Danko

Dr. Danko Nikolić
www.danko-nikolic.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/danko-nikolic/
-- I wonder, how is the brain able to generate insight? --