Here they basically reveal their definition of "understanding"

"A question that might be lingering on many readers’ mind is whether
GPT-4 truly understands all these
concepts, or whether it just became much better than previous models
at improvising on the fly, without any
real or deep understanding. We hope that after reading this paper the
question should almost flip, and that
one might be left wondering how much more there is to true
understanding than on-the-fly improvisation.
Can one reasonably say that a system that passes exams for software
engineering candidates (Figure 1.5) is
not really intelligent? Perhaps the only real test of understanding is
whether one can produce new knowledge,
such as proving new mathematical theorems, a feat that currently
remains out of reach for LLMs."