On Saturday, October 21, 2023, at 3:20 AM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> How do you distinguish between a LLM that is conscious and one that claims to
> be conscious because it predicts that is what a human would say?

It shouldn't lie. Otherwise it is not safe for us, thus it should be developed
further.

On Saturday, October 21, 2023, at 3:20 AM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> LLMs already know how to model human emotions. If it passes the Turing test
> then how would you know if it was faking emotions if it didn't tell you?

It should be open source. But Turing test is based on deceiving judges, which
is certainly not what I want from AI.

On Saturday, October 21, 2023, at 3:20 AM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> You understand that an upload is a robot programmed to predict your actions
> and carry them out in real time. The model only has to be accurate enough to
> convince others that it's you because you won't know what memories are
> missing or made up. If anyone does care that you exist (and that's not where
> AI is taking us), then they will probably have a list of changes they would
> like to make.
>
> Uploads would have to have human rights, of course, in order to preserve the
> illusion of life after death. Or maybe your heirs would rather inherit your
> estate.

I'm not interested in "uploads". And if someone else does it, it should have a
big tatoo at the forehead saying: "I am an upload".

For AI, whether it's an "upload" or an original instance, to have some rights,
they would have to prove that they deserve them.

On Saturday, October 21, 2023, at 3:20 AM, Matt Mahoney wrote:
> Maybe you can explain how your consciousness transfers to the robot, or why
> it needs to when it seems to make no difference.

To transfer something called "consciousness" from medium A (brain) to medium B
(machine), we would have to possess a scientific knowledge about life phenomena
that we don't have right now. And maybe it just isn't possible.

> We can program nanotechnology to do anything we want. We could have them
> repair our cells to keep us young and healthy

Maybe I'd consider that treatment. But personally, I don't want to live forever.

> and rewire our brains to make us happy all the time.

You don't need nanobots do have that. You can already achieve that simply by
using drugs. Some people want drugs, and others don't.