I suppose what I am looking for is really in that space beyond the
benchmark tests, in which clearly more than one decision is arguably valid
within acceptable boundaries. How does the machine gauge what such
acceptable boundaries are? What does the machine judge in cases with a
scarcity of evidence in multiple dimensions?

Most of the emphasis on large model testing is on "understanding and
reasoning" (two words appear repeatedly in papers) but not really judging.
Judging is what we do about the output of the AI. But ultimately we want
the machine to really judge within acceptable boundaries given a scarcity
of objective evidence. Now the models usually output something like "I am
not comfortable answering that" or "I am so and so model but don't do that"
or such. Some of this comes down to intuition and gut feel in humans --
that is, when faced with a novel situation.