Shane,

You wrote:

> My other point is that an AGI has to be a General Intelligence.
> So being able to just play PacMan isn't really enough, what we
> would really need is huge collection games like this that
> exercised the AI's brain in all sorts of slightly different ways
> with different types of simple learning problems.  We need somebody
> to build a collection of simple games with a common simple API.
> A standard AGI test bed of sorts.

I've been putting together ideas for AI games such as you mention, in
the format of a curriculum for a seed AI.  The games will be
graduated in complexity, so the AI doesn't get stuck.  Also the
interface complexity (between the game-software and the AI) will be
graduated, so that the AI will not be overwhelmed with I/O.  Having a
graduated interface also allows the programmers to concentrate on the
AI-ish part of the code up-front, rather than spend a lot of time
coding the interface.

The process of imagining the games and the interfaces required by
those games, has been quite instructive in regards to what specific
skills need to be learned before a game can be mastered.  While
imagining new games comes fairly easily to me, more difficult is the
correct ordering of the games so that one game builds on the lessons
of the previous games.  Also difficult is the designing of the games
to that they build incrementally, allowing the AI to build/discover
one cognitive skill at a time, rather than having to learn several
skills before mastering a given game.  The process has revealed
several gaps in my thinking about what cognitive skills are needed
during the development process.

The curriculum document is not yet 'in shape' enough to share, but I
will post a link to it when I have a draft.  If anyone has URLs or
suggestions of games that I might include, please send them to me
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (or to the list if you like :).  Thanks.

Tony Lofthouse: I've heard you are working on the shape-world
interface.  Have you considered what games we might play in it?
Ideas?

Michael Roy Ames

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]