Philip wrote:

> Some people feel uneasy about trying to take reality and break it up
> into pieces - since everything is all part of the seemless web of the
> cosmos.
>
> But thinking of everything as one is too hard so we need to be able to
> modularise reality to make it tractable.

This touches on something I've been thinking about, so I'll take this opportunity.

Context is one of the things that really stands out when exploring memory processes of
the type used in the evolutionary tract.  I've seen context mentioned repeatedly
within the Novamente online documents, but context is a rather messy word.

I'm wondering if some clarification can be provided in naming subdomains of the
concept of "context" as regards the discussion of AGI's.

Consider the types of context that occurred to me on browsing the Novamente Q&A
section:

PsyNet Context:   There are multiple types of collections nodes and links, different
levels of the hierarchical mind network, attentional focus, etc

Conceptual Context:  The context surrounding a particular concept (person, Paris,
running)

Semantic Context:  The underlying semantic context of a sentence

Environmental Context:  Is the AGI talking in a chat session, moving blocks in
SpaceWorld, or solving a bioinformatics problem?

Spatial Context:  Assuming the AGI is able to interact with a 2d or 3d spatial domain,
the context of spatial location is extremely important

Temporal Context:  This is an idea from recent neurophys research, indicating the
brain maintains a strict sense of temporal context, which has potent effects on
various kinds of memory.

I see that Novamente has Context and NumericalContext Links,  but I'm wondering if
something more is needed to handle the various subtypes of context?  As far as brains
are concerned (and again, I know you're not building a brain per-se, but my AI
philosophy involves taking lessons from evolution where we can), context is possibly
one of the most important variables in any situation.

A rat trained to do action X (push a bar for food) in context A will not perform it in
context B, although can learn to do it much more quickly and will learn to generalize
across contexts rapidly.   The important thing is that they won't do it by default,
but will instead explore and learn about the new context instead of pressing every bar
they see in a new room.  This is a powerful optimization technique by evolution for
dealing with the array of situations that even something as simple as a rat will have
to deal with over the course of their 2-3 years.

I mentioned temporal context above.     It appears to work like this (based on human
verbal recall data).   If I give you a list of words and ask you to recall them in any
order, you will recall them in an order predicted by temporal context.  If you recall
word N, your next recall will most likely be word N+1 or N-1 (some assymmetry in the
forward direction), followed by N+2, N-2, etc.    Temporal context also extends across
much larger spans in human memory, with an increased chance of recalling something
from a given time point in your life, given a prior recall of something in the same
temporal vicinity (something we've all experienced).

Context even extends down to the pharmocological level.  A large dose of heroin that
an addict might find merely satisfactory in his home might be lethal when taken in a
completely novel area.

In summary, it's clear that context is a vital part of memory processes used by NGI's,
and I was wondering to what extent context is emphasized in the design of Novamente.
It's difficult to get a feel for it from the available documentation.   I'd also like
to explore the idea of creating some more concrete words for the various types of
context that will be a necessary part of any AGI.  The word "context" is too
generalized to perform the many functions required of it.  Agree/disagree?  Am I
reinventing the wheel?

-Brad

please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?[EMAIL PROTECTED]