Hi Ben,

Thanks for the brain teaser!  As a sometimes believer in Occam's Razor, I
think it makes sense to assume that Xi and Xj are indepenent, unless we know
otherwise.  This simplifies things, and is the "rational" thing to do (for
some definition of rational ;->).  So why not construct a bayes net modeling
the distributions, with causal links only where you _know_ two variables are
dependent?  For reasoning about "orphan variables" (e.g., you know nothing
at all about Xi), just assume the average of all other distributions.  If
you have P(Xi|Xj), and want P(Xj|Xi), fudge something together with Bayes'
rule.  This isn't a complete solution, but its how I would start... Is this
one of the things you've tried?

Cheers,
Moshe