> In humans it seems as if some states of depression, boredom, etc. are
> designed (whoops there I go anthropomorphising evolution) to break
> through certain types of deadlock and runaway.  E.g., there is a
> separate feedback mechanism that sits on top of and responds to the
> "intelligence"/"make sense of this" mechanism -- when the latter
> breaks down, the former kicks in in certain ways.  It might not be
> always productive -- "f*ck it, let's just do it" / "damn the
> torpedoes" -- but it does get us out of deadlocks and spirals.

this is something I have wondered about myself; particularly the interaction
between boredom and curiosity.  imo, these two features likely are an
important part of the innate 'bootstrapping' program that seems to exist
within humans (and to a lesser extent other animals) during development.

the existence of said 'program' is an open question, but it would strike me
as very odd if in fact it did not.

I wonder if the habituation to repetitive stimuli seen in organisms has
something to do with the high-level feedback system hypothesized in the
quoted section above...