Hmmm...

I agree that human awareness is affected by the collective structures in
which we operate; and on a nonscientific level, I think I understand what
you mean by "collective consciousness"

But, human social groups don't seem to have the kind of "theater of focused
awareness" that individual humans have, and I think that in future there may
be tightly-coupled collectives of minds that *do* have this kind of theater
of awareness....  I think this will be a difference from human consciousness
and human-group "distributed cognition"...

This may be pertinent to AGI's, as it will likely be easier to
tightly-coupled AGI's in this way than to do so with humans

A question that Eliezer and I discussed a lot, a while back, is whether such
a "multi-mind" (tightly coupled collective of AGI's with an emergent
collective consciousness-theater) is a better use of a fixed fund of
computational resources, than a single mind with more individual
firepower...

ben g