Guess I'm too used to more biophysical models in which that approach won't
work.  In the models I've used (which I understand aren't relevant to your
approach) you can't afford to ignore a neuron or its synapses because they
are under threshold.  Interesting dynamics are occurring even when the
neuron isn't firing.  You could ignore some neurons that are at rest and
hadn't received any direct or modulatory input for some time, but
then you'd need some fancy optimizations to ensure you're not missing
anything.

But in the situation you're referring to with a more abstract (and
therefore more useful to AGI) implementation, these details are
irrelevant.

I just wanted to chime in and ramble a bit :)

Very glad to hear things are going well with Novamente.

Hope the holidays treat all of you well.

-Brad