John --

I guess you're right -- in a finite universe, notions like "intelligence"
and "science" ultimately only have meaning relative to some context....

For instance, to define intelligence using computation theory (via Marcus
Hutter's AIXI work or any other approach), one needs to assume some
Universal Turing  Machine as a reference machine -- but this "reference
machine" is basically a Context in your sense...

-- Ben G