Peter,

I agree that simply learning mappings between names and objects is easy,
and doesn't even require a system as sophisticated as yours is.

The slightly more interesting example of reasoning mentioned in this
article was:

When there were N toys in a room, and the dog knew the names of N-1 of
them, and was then asked to fetch "blah", where "blah" was an unfamiliar
name -- the dog figured out to fetch the toy whose name it didn't know,
figuring that must be a "blah."

This isn't rocket science, but it's reasonably sophisticated speculative
inference [which could lead to error sometimes, in cases of objects with
multiple names, obviously]

-- Ben