Hi,

> One thing that I personally want to see is for each group to
> define its goal in more details so we can understand how the
> AGI "products" are differentiated. Right now the situation,
> as I see it, is that we're still struggling to create the
> first marketable product. I think the long-term success of
> any AGI design would depend largely on the company's market
> position more than superiority in technology.

I think we have a significant disagreement about the relationship
between AGI research and business.  I don't see why you think having
marketable products is essential to AGI research.  AGI is about building
a digital mind, and doesn't *have* to be any more about business than
raising a child, except for the cost of R&D.

In fact, my own team is now developing and selling useful products &
services as a way to make money to fund AGI research.  But this isn't a
necessity, and we might well stop doing so if we received a significant
amount of pure AGI R&D funding.

I suspect that whomever gets to a workable human-level AGI system first
will be able to make a lot of money, either by themselves or (more
likely) in partnership with some existing large company.  Of course if
it's a non-business-savvy person they could also get screwed by some
large company and wind up not benefiting personally.

But it could happen that a small, poorly-funded team gets to an
infrahuman AGI ... fails to profit considerably or take their research
to the next level ... and then a larger, better-funded commercial team
winds up creating a human-level AGI based on improving their ideas....
Of course there are a lot of scenarios!

-- Ben G