On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 05:29:01PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Some may want to understand the CNS/Brain process while others may decide
> to improve beyond the CNS/Brain biological process called thinking.

Yes, but AI still runs on a physical computer. We know how an optimal
computer looks like -- it's a cellular globally-asynchronous locally-coupled
system. We're moving there, at both ends of design space (clusters and bare
semiconductor), but it's pretty slow so far.

> To that I say computational cost of cpu time, instructions executed and
> resources will be important considerations of any configuration in AGI.

I'm posting this stuff because there's a strong school in AI which is
hardware agnostic, and thinks that it's all complicated algorithms all the
way down. Other people (me included) think we're computationally starved, and
will be for a long time. The future target hardware will not run today's codes
with
any efficiency, unless you design for it explicitly, today.

--
Eugen* Leitl <a href="http://leitl.org";>leitl</a>